Living in today’s world can be very stressful. Our jobs can be stressful, our families can be stressful, and our other obligations can be stressful. It’s important to take care of your mental health. Here are 7 things you can do.
1. Be gentle with yourself – Do not criticize or judge yourself. Do not beat yourself up about your mistakes. Do not feel guilty. Take the time to do the things you really enjoy doing, to do things that make you happy.
2. Stay on top of your physical health – It’s much easier to improve your mental health when you take care of your physical health. One way you can do this is to avoid drugs and alcohol, eat three healthy meals a day, drink plenty of water, get exercise three to five times a day, and get eight to nine hours of sleep a night.
3. Find a system of support – Having positive loved ones around you is very important – whether they are friends or family or an actual support group. You want to make sure you have someone to turn to when you are feeling down.
4. Meditate and make time to be quiet – Having just a little amount of time to meditate every day (or pray if you are religious or spiritual) is a great thing to do. It will help you to bring more focus and balance to your life.
5. Mix it up – Don’t get stuck in ruts or routines. Drive a different way home from work. Go for a walk in the middle of the day. Plan a vacation in the middle of February. Learn a new skill. Do something to help you to not get into ruts.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help – If you are struggling with depression or anxiety, it’s perfectly okay to ask for help. In fact, you should ask for help. Even if you are not currently struggling with depression, if you have a tendency to get depressed, it can be helpful to see a therapist or counselor.